Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to interpret CLM output rates

stevenDH

Hi I have a question regarding variables that are outputted by CLM as rates (e.g. in units gC/m2) what does the area in the nominator refer to?
Are variables in CLM output computed as a rate per grid cell (i.e. can contain both ocean and land area) or per land area (i.e. only the land fraction of the grid cell)?
I would need to know this info as I'm trying to compute the carbon pools (quantity of carbon) so I would need to multiply these rates with a given area but I'm not sure which one. To me it would be logical that these are outputted over the land area only so I would need to compute it like this

output (mass) = output (rate)*gridarea*landfraction

Is this correct? I cannot really find this info anywhere in the docs.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Your computation is correct. The only note I found on this was that there is a comment in the global attributes of the history files:

comment = "NOTE: None of the variables are weighted by land fraction!"

stevenDH

Thanks for the swift reply Keith! And thanks for pointing that out, I will be sure to check that more carefully from now on!