Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to introduce water mountains in Aquaplanet CESM CAM 6?

sujatra1bht

Sujatra Bhattacharyya
I am running QPC 6 compset CESM 2.1.3. I want to introduce water mountains in some specific regions. Which file and what modifications are required for this?

Thanks.
Sujatra

brianpm

"Water mountains" are topographical features added to a water-covered aquaplanet configuration. The surface is elevated, but is not represented by a land surface model.

You will need to specify a topography file that has the surface geopotential (PHIS).

In user_nl_cam, add an entry to specify to use a topo file and to the topo file itself:
use_topo_file = .true.
bnd_topo = '/path/to/file'

You can see example topo files for realistic set ups here: /glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/inputdata/atm/cam/topo

If you use this topography with the usual specified SST in QPC6, also consider adjusting the SST to account for the topography. I believe a recent example is given by:
Kim, H., Benedict, J.J., 2023. The Idealized Aquaplanet Maritime Continent Barrier Effect on the MJO Predictability. J. Clim. 36, 5757–5773. https://doi.org/10.1175/JCLI-D-22-0155.1

sujatra1bht

Sujatra Bhattacharyya
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I have tried to do the procedure as you mentioned. However, I am getting an error " Lagrangian levels crossing" and "suggest to increase NSPLTVRM". I have tried to increase NSPLTVRM from 0 to 2 and then 8 (Here I have also changed NSPLIT=32 and NSPLTRAC=16). But, it is still giving the same error. How to solve this error??

Thanks.
Sujatra

brianpm

When I have seen that error in aquaplanet configurations, it has usually been because of an inconsistency between the initial condition and the model configuration. In this case, the initial condition might be for an aquaplanet with no topography, and then the model starts suddenly with topography, compressing the atmospheric columns and making strong pressure gradients. The dynamics tries to adjust, but the situation is too unstable (thus the recommendation to reduce nspltvrm).

One thing you could try would be to start from analytic, uniform initial conditions. To do that, add this to your user_nl_cam:

analytic_ic_type = 'us_standard_atmosphere'

And run this command to change the CAM configure options:

./xmlchange --append CAM_CONFIG_OPTS=-analytic_ic

When starting from idealized initial conditions, the circulation will need to spin up. That is pretty fast in an aquaplanet, but will take a few simulated days, and things may not be fully in their steady state for a few tens of days.

sujatra1bht

Sujatra Bhattacharyya
Thanks for your reply. I was trying this. However, while building, I am getting the following error.
ERROR: in validate_variable_value (package Build::Namelist): Variable name analytic_ic_type has values that does NOT match any of the valid values: 'none' 'held_suarez_1994' 'moist_baroclinic_wave_dcmip2016' 'dry_baroclinic_wave_dcmip2016' 'dry_baroclinic_wave_jw2006'.
The Namelist variable 'us_standard_atmosphere' is not present for CESM version 2.1.3. Is it possible to add?

brianpm

Hm. I'm not sure what would be required to bring 'us_standard_atmosphere' into 2.1. I see that it is available in the 2.2 branch; is it possible for you to move to that branch?

YCCircle

Yuanyuan HUANG
Hi, i'm wondering... if a region is specified by a water mountain, is there covered by SST data? What does the water mountain simulation represent? Can it be understood as adding the land-sea distribution? Thanks.

brianpm

In these water mountain experiments, there is top
ography but no representation of the land surface. For significant topographical features, some modification of the surface temperature is needed, as noted above. With some accommodation for the surface temperature, the result is that the topographic feature(s) included mainly represent the mechanical forcing on the flow. For example:

Maroon, E. A., D. M. W. Frierson, and D. S. Battisti, 2015: The Tropical Precipitation Response to Andes Topography and Ocean Heat Fluxes in an Aquaplanet Model. J. Climate, 28, 381–398, The Tropical Precipitation Response to Andes Topography and Ocean Heat Fluxes in an Aquaplanet Model.

Similar thinking can be applied in other contexts ... some examples:

Boos, W.R., Pascale, S. Mechanical forcing of the North American monsoon by orography. Nature 599, 611–615 (2021). Mechanical forcing of the North American monsoon by orography - Nature

Sandu, I., van Niekerk, A., Shepherd, T.G. et al. Impacts of orography on large-scale atmospheric circulation. npj Clim Atmos Sci 2, 10 (2019). Impacts of orography on large-scale atmospheric circulation - npj Climate and Atmospheric Science

Welch, W. T., P. Smolarkiewicz, R. Rotunno, and B. A. Boville, 2001: The Large-Scale Effects of Flow over Periodic Mesoscale Topography. J. Atmos. Sci., 58, 1477–1492, https://doi.org/10.1175/1520-0469(2001)058<1477:TLSEOF>2.0.CO;2.