Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to remove continents

Hi all,

I am using CESM1.2.2 with WACCM (with CAM4) and CLM4.0 using F1850W compset.

I am trying to run an experiment by removing the continents other than Asia. I changed the land and ocean domain files (by making variables frac and mask =0 over Asia in the land domain file; vice versa for the ocean domain file).
I haven't made any changes in bnd_topo file. Do I need to change LANDFRAC and LANDM_COSLAT or any other variables in this file?

When I submit the case, I get an error and I think the problem is with land model (didn't see any error message in atm.log file). I checked lnd.log file this is the part of error message:
"...Successfully initialized variables for accumulation
reading restart file
/g/data/y99/dd7103/CESM/inputdata/ccsm4_init/b40.1850.track1.2deg.003/year_401/
b40.1850.track1.2deg.003.clm2.r.0401-01-01-00000.nc

Reading restart dataset
check_dim ERROR: mismatch of input dimension 5663 with expected value
2268 for variable gridcell
ENDRUN: called without a message string"

Can you please suggest how to solve this issue?
Thanks a lot in advance,
Deepashree

Hi Erik,
Thank you so much for your response!

I looked at the interpinic tool and could create a restart file with the changed land and ocean domain files. However, the restart file still had high geopotential height over areas in which I removed land masses. I thought it's because I didn't change the variables PHIS, SGH30, SGH etc in band_topo file.
So I created another case and made these variables zero in areas of removed land fraction, which gives me an error. (I tried the same with just CAM4, without WACCM and I still get errors)
I am also a bit confused about the variables in fsurdat file. Don't I need to change those as well?

If I decide to run from a cold start, can you please tell me approximately for how long I need to run the model?

Thanks again!