Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to spinup for the IHISTClm50SpGs case ?

LiwenWu

LiwenWu
Dear scientists,
With your patient answer and help, I successfully generated a 0.01 ° surfdata file (2000) using the rawdata and land use data I prepared. Now I want to perform a spin up but I'm a little confused. I have prepared forcing data CMFD for 1979-2018, with data from 1979 to 1999 used for spin up and data from 2000 to 2018 used for actual running.
1) Based on the user guide and forum posts, I know that the actual running should create an IHISTClm50SpGs case. So what case should the corresponding spinup create? Is it I2000Clm50SpGs? If so, Which year's surfdata file should I use for the spin up case, 1979 or 2000? Based on my understanding, I should use the 2000 surfdata because I modified the parameters in the 2000 surfdata, which is why I need to spin up it to reach steady state. Is my understanding correct? By the way, I don't have high-precision data such as landuse and LAI for 1979. If I need to use 1979 data, I can only use CLM default data, which seems to conflict with my modified 2000 surfdata, right?
2) What's more, it seems that there is no corresponding resolution for 0.01 deg in the CESM 2.2.0 Grid Resolution Definitions. Should I create a new resolution for 0.01 deg following the instructions mentioned in the user guide? I am still not very clear about the steps to create a new resolution. Firstly, add '606x808_shanxiChina' to list of valid_values for the id=”res” entry in $CTSMROOT/bld/namelist_files/namelist_definition_ctsm.xml and also $CIMEROOT/config/cesm/config_grid.xml; Then use the new resolution by using CLM_USRDAT_NAME. Lastly, $CTSMROOT/bld/namelist_files/namelist_defaults_clm4_5.xml.Does the procedure right? But without giving a true 0.01 deg SCRIP file, can CTSM really create a resolution pointing to 0.01°? Please correct me if I misunderstood.
3) I also wonder if I want to use my own landuse-timeseries data (2000-2018, one file per year), Do I have to combine all years of data into one file (like landuse.timeseries_1.9x2.5_hist_16pfts_simyr1850-2015_c170428.nc)?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

slevis

1) Questions about spin-up are a matter of your experimental design and, therefore, we do not get involved in such decisions. Depending on your career level, you should direct questions pertaining to experimental design to your advisor or colleagues. You will also find that most (possibly all) numerical modeling papers - in their "methods" sections - discuss the topic of spin-up, so you may find guidance in the literature.

slevis

2) From your post it seems you have already generated an fsurdat file for the new resolution. As you suggested, you should continue following the user's guide instructions for performing runs with custom resolutions.

slevis

3) I think, yes, you will find it easier to use the model if you generate a landuse.timeseries file that follows the same template as the default files that we provide.