Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

how to turn off clouds

Hi,

I would like to investigate the climate effects of clouds through comparing the results with and without clouds.
I know that the model does calculate SWCF, LWCF and so on, which are helpful for analyzing the role of clouds.
But, I want to know the changes of surface temperature if there are no clouds, so that I need swift off the cloud module.

The model I used is CAM3. I know that maybe this forum is only for CAM4 or CAM5. Forgive me.
Thank you very much.

Jun
jyangdas@gmail.com

brianpm

I haven't looked at this for CAM3, but I am planning similar experiments for CAM5 (see http://www.euclipse.eu/wp4/wp4.html). The easiest way is probably to modify the radiation code (both SW and LW separately) to use the clear-sky fluxes instead of the all-sky fluxes. You will need to overwrite the radiative fluxes to the surface as well as the radiative heating rates (QRS and QRL) to totally remove the radiative effects of clouds.

CESM researcher

HW doctor
Hi, I also encountered a similar problem. Is it solved? I want to realize the effect of changes in solar radiation on GPP with and without clouds. Please give me some help!