Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to turn off radiation scheme above 100hPa

Hi all,

I'm using WACCM with CAM4 physics using F1850W compset.
I am interested in finding the radiative effect of stratospheric clouds in the Arctic in the perturbation experiment.
I was wondering if I can somehow turn off the radiation scheme above 100hPa (without affecting cloud fractions).

Thanks a lot,
Deepashree

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Turning off radiation would be a lot of work, and would produce an unreasonable model base state.

However, you can output the all-sky and clear-sky radiative heating terms, and difference them. That would give you the cloud effect.

I am not sure the clear sky radiative heating at each level is available as an output, but you could code it if you need it.

Otherwise, the differences in radiative fluxes through the full columns would be the easiest way to get the cloud effects.

Turning off radiation would be a lot of work, and would produce an unreasonable model base state.

However, you can output the all-sky and clear-sky radiative heating terms, and difference them. That would give you the cloud effect.

I am not sure the clear sky radiative heating at each level is available as an output, but you could code it if you need it.

Otherwise, the differences in radiative fluxes through the full columns would be the easiest way to get the cloud effects.
Thank you so much Mike!