Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How/where is CAM calculating carbon fluxes from CLM into concentration (ppm)?

The prognostic co2 - version of CAm is not supported but I still have a question I hope you can help me with. When using this version of the coupled CLM/CAM (co2_flag = .true.) the calculated co2 (the CO2 variable in the history-files) in CAM is too high compared to observations. This is because NEE from CLM is too high in my runs, but I want to investigate this further..

in atm_comp_mct the total co2 flux from ocn, fff and lnd is set:
! merged co2 flux
cam_in(c)%cflx(i,c_i(4)) = cam_in(c)%cflx(i,c_i(1)) + &
cam_in(c)%cflx(i,c_i(2)) + &
cam_in(c)%cflx(i,c_i(3))

but where and when is cam_in(c)cflx(i,c_i(4)) incorporated in the equation that calculates the atmospheri cco2-concentration (in ppm)??

eaton

CSEG and Liaisons
The fluxes for all constituents are stored in the cam_in%cflx array. These
fluxes are added to the bottom layer of the atmosphere by the vertical diffusion
module. cflx is an argument to the compute_vdiff call. In subroutine compute_vdiff
(module diffusion_solver) at about line 732 you'll see where cflx is added to the
lowest atm layer. The units here are mixing ratio (kg/kg).