Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

hybrid run, end-of-file during read

xyli@geo_uio_no

Dear everyone,

When I tried to perform a hybrid simulation with the compset BW1850, I always get the following error,

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit 97, file /cluster/work/users/xiangyuli/cesm/BW-control-190626-hybrid/run/./BW-control-190626.pop.ro.0025-10-01-00000

Any idea about this?

Here are my steps with CESM 2.1.1,

./create_newcase --case /cluster/home/xiangyuli/cases/BW-control-190626-hybrid --compset BW1850 --res f09_g17 --machine fram

./xmlchange RUN_REFCASE=BW-control-190626

./xmlchange RUN_REFDATE=0024-01-01

./xmlchange STOP_N=1

./xmlchange STOP_OPTION=nmonths

./xmlchange DOUT_S_SAVE_INTERIM_RESTART_FILES=TRUE

./case.setup

cp REFCASE/rpointer.* /cluster/work/users/xiangyuli/inputdata/cesm2_init/BW-control-190626/0024-01-01/
cp REFCASE/*0024-01-01* /cluster/work/users/xiangyuli/inputdata/cesm2_init/BW-control-190626/0024-01-01/

./case.build

./check_input_data --download

./case.submit

Jack_ecology

Jack
Dear everyone,

When I tried to perform a hybrid simulation with the compset BW1850, I always get the following error,

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit 97, file /cluster/work/users/xiangyuli/cesm/BW-control-190626-hybrid/run/./BW-control-190626.pop.ro.0025-10-01-00000

Any idea about this?

Here are my steps with CESM 2.1.1,

./create_newcase --case /cluster/home/xiangyuli/cases/BW-control-190626-hybrid --compset BW1850 --res f09_g17 --machine fram

./xmlchange RUN_REFCASE=BW-control-190626

./xmlchange RUN_REFDATE=0024-01-01

./xmlchange STOP_N=1

./xmlchange STOP_OPTION=nmonths

./xmlchange DOUT_S_SAVE_INTERIM_RESTART_FILES=TRUE

./case.setup

cp REFCASE/rpointer.* /cluster/work/users/xiangyuli/inputdata/cesm2_init/BW-control-190626/0024-01-01/
cp REFCASE/*0024-01-01* /cluster/work/users/xiangyuli/inputdata/cesm2_init/BW-control-190626/0024-01-01/

./case.build

./check_input_data --download

./case.submit
Hi,
I am new to CESM. But I am thinking if your problem comes from the copy REF CASE files. My understanding is when you run a hybrid simulation. You may need to copy the REF_CASE files from the archieve/REF_CASE/rest/* into your present_CASE directory present_CASE/run. For hybrid simulation, a START_DATE may also be needed.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It looks like from the original message the REF_CASE files were copied into the directory. And the error message says that it found the files, but couldn't read them because it was expecting different size of data.

The question is for this control case "BW-control-190626" is it at the same resolution as the new case you are trying to run "f09_g17" and are the settings the same as well?

Shikh2208

Shikhar Srivastava
Hi, I also get the same error while running the branch with the B1850 compset.

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit 97, file /scratch/casshikh/CESM2/CESM213/New_case/ENSO_transition_CTL_branch_test/run/./ENSO_transition_CTL.pop.ro.0001-12-12-00000

Any way around this?

Thanks

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi, I also get the same error while running the branch with the B1850 compset.

forrtl: severe (24): end-of-file during read, unit 97, file /scratch/casshikh/CESM2/CESM213/New_case/ENSO_transition_CTL_branch_test/run/./ENSO_transition_CTL.pop.ro.0001-12-12-00000

Any way around this?

Thanks

@Shikh2208 still the same as the message above (hybrid run, end-of-file during read). It's trying to read more data from the file than the file has. So a guess is that the file you give there is NOT the same resolution as the case you are running (are they both gx1v7 for POP?). Or it could be the CESM version that create the pop.ro file above is NOT compatible wtih the version you are running and/or different options were invoked.

I'm also moving this to the ocean forum, because it's very specific to running POP.

Shikh2208

Shikhar Srivastava
Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply. I found that the resolution and CESM version is the same for both cases (README.case file attached).
Yes, they both are gx1v7 for POP.

Attachments

• README_startup.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
  • README_branch.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 1

Shikh2208

Shikhar Srivastava
@Shikh2208 still the same as the message above (hybrid run, end-of-file during read). It's trying to read more data from the file than the file has. So a guess is that the file you give there is NOT the same resolution as the case you are running (are they both gx1v7 for POP?). Or it could be the CESM version that create the pop.ro file above is NOT compatible wtih the version you are running and/or different options were invoked.

I'm also moving this to the ocean forum, because it's very specific to running POP.
Hi Erik,

Thanks for your reply. I found that the resolution and CESM version is the same for both cases (README.case file attached).
Yes, they both are gx1v7 for POP.

Attachments

• README_branch.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 0
  • README_startup.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 0