Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Ice diagnostics model comparison

I have run the ice diagnostics package for the first time. I had set the following options:

./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_BEGYR_CONT=2005
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_ENDYR_CONT=2025
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_YRS_TO_AVG=20
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_BEGYR_DIFF=2005
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_ENDYR_DIFF=2025
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_MODEL_VS_MODEL=TRUE
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_COMPUTE_CLIMO_DIFF=TRUE
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_VAR_NAME_TYPE_DIFF=CICE
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_VAR_NAME_TYPE_CONT=CICE
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_CASE_TO_DIFF=RCP85PertSourceMods
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_PATH_DIFF=/glade/scratch/srogstad/archive/RCP85FW

The averages and diagnostics codes seemed to complete successfully, but I don't see where the model comparison output is. I have the following output:
diag/case/case-obs

In the ocean diagnostics package when I run it there are two directories, the obs comparison and a model comparison, and while I know the diagnostic packages are all a bit different I am wondering if there is supposed to be a model-model comparison directory under diag as well as the obs one I see. Is it somewhere else and I missed it or did I maybe not set the config flags correctly? Thanks!

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Does the log say it completes successfully? The log file will have the path to the data and the climatologies. It should be under:

/glade/scratch/srogstad/archive/case/proc/diag/climo

Or something like that.

Dave

Yes, the last line of the log file is
"Successfully completed generating ice diagnostics"

But I don't see anywhere in the log file where it refers to model vs model so perhaps I did not set the flags correctly? I thought the only flags needed would be the ones above.

The directory /glade/scratch/srogstad/archive/case/proc/climo has the netcdf files for the 2 models I was trying to compare but not the diagnostic output. Under /glade/scratch/srogstad/archive/case/proc/diag/ it has the model vs. obs folder with images but not a model vs model folder.

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I wonder if the Ice_averages script timed out? Are all the climos there for both runs?

I don't think it timed out since it only took a few minutes to run and says it completed successfully. The climos are there for both runs. I'm about to try the script again with a different control case.

Hmm, it really doesn't seem to be doing anything. I just turned off the model vs obs and only ran model vs. model with a different test case. The script completes but doesn't do anything. These are the flags I did to update the ones above:
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_CASE_TO_DIFF=RCP85CtrlSourceMods
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_PATH_DIFF=/glade/scratch/srogstad/archive/RCP85Ctrl
./pp_config --set ICEDIAG_MODEL_VS_OBS=FALSE

And this is the full text of the log:
NCO netCDF Operators version 4.7.9 built by csgteam on cheyenne1 at Jun 27 2019 20:04:47
ncks version 4.7.9
User requested diagnostics:
Run copy_html utility to copy web files and plots to a remote web server
Total Time: 0.637292861938 seconds
Successfully completed generating ice diagnostics

It looks like the script sees no requested diagnostics but in env_diags_ice.xml this shows:
<!-- Description: Compute climatologies for the cntl case. -->
<!-- Valid Values: -->
<entry id="ICEDIAG_COMPUTE_CLIMO_DIFF" value="TRUE" />