Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

iCESM1_2_0_1_geotrace_n02c Segmentation fault during the run

liuxiaoqing

Xiaoqing Liu
I'm changing PE layout to optimize the the cost and throughput on Purdue's machine bell. an error "Segmentation fault: address not mapped to object at address 0xfffffffc042748d0" showed up when NTASKS of all components were increased to 256. When NTASKS of all components were 128, the simulation was run successfully. May I ask for your suggestion to solve this issue? The attached zip file includes log files and env_mach_pes.xml file.

Attachments

• Test_PE256 log files.zip
    139.4 KB · Views: 3

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You have MAX_TASKS_PER_NODE=128 so I would expect 256 tasks to run on two nodes, but
the cesm log suggests that you are using 3 nodes. From that log I see tasks 0-85 on bell-a121
tasks 86-170 on bell-a163 and tasks 171-255 on bell-a206 - 86 tasks per node is very strange.
You may want to check with your system administrators to figure out why this is happening.