Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

initial condition data for FWSD compset with 88 levels

anushree

Hi all,
Can you provide me a cam.i. file for the year 2009 for running the FWSD compset with 88 levels.The default FWSD starts from 1980 and uses the file
c_cesm2.1b01_fswd_1975_cntrl.cam.i.1980-01-01-00000.nc.
Or should i use the same one for starting a run from 2009 with FWSD compset?
Looking forward to your reply.
Anushree

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sorry about this, but this question needs to be in the WACCM forum. I am moving it there.

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi all,
Can you provide me a cam.i. file for the year 2009 for running the FWSD compset with 88 levels.The default FWSD starts from 1980 and uses the file
c_cesm2.1b01_fswd_1975_cntrl.cam.i.1980-01-01-00000.nc.
Or should i use the same one for starting a run from 2009 with FWSD compset?
Looking forward to your reply.
Anushree
You should only use the IC for the year you are starting from (2009, not 1980). This should include the CLM restart as well as CAM/WACCM.

We have provided complete restart directories for selected years from 1980 to 2015 here:

I have added 2009 for you there. CESM will download this automatically if you set:

./xmlchange RUN_TYPE=hybrid,RUN_REFCASE=c_cesm2.1b01_fswd_1975_cntrl,RUN_REFDATE=2009-01-01,RUN_STARTDATE=2009-01-01,GET_REFCASE=TRUE

Last edited:

anushree

Hi Mike,
Thank you so much for your reply!
It helps greatly!
I just have a question about GET_REFCASE=TRUE
I keep this value as FALSE and copy the restart files after case.setup to the run directory of the present case.
Am i doing it wrong? should i be changing the value to TRUE?
Kindly help me out.
Regards,
Anushree

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Mike,
Thank you so much for your reply!
It helps greatly!
I just have a question about GET_REFCASE=TRUE
I keep this value as FALSE and copy the restart files after case.setup to the run directory of the present case.
Am i doing it wrong? should i be changing the value to TRUE?
Kindly help me out.
Regards,
Anushree
GET_REFCASE=TRUE is supposed to do that work for you automatically, but if you have had issues with it not working on your machine, your manual copy will do the same thing.