Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Initial conditions

Shreya Bhowmick

Shreya Bhowmick
Hi everyone,

I am new to CESM. I want to run the compset F_AMIP_CAM5 from 1950 to 2020 using the initial conditions (of all components) from the restart file of B1850C5 or B1850C5CN of the year 1950 and also prescribe the SST from this run. I am using version 1.2.2 as I'll use a Linux cluster and a startup run is computationally expensive. Can anyone suggest where can I get the initial conditions or how can I do this?

Thank you for your time,
Shreya.

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You'll need to find a suitable CESM simulation that has restart files for 1950. You can use the CESM experiment database to look into such existing simulations. Often these simulations are used for later model versions for starting the model up so are part of the inputdata files (for example for CESM2 under cesm2_init).

Is there a reason you need to use 1.2.2 rather than the latest CESM2 release version?

Shreya Bhowmick

Shreya Bhowmick
Thank you for the reply. Currently I do not have access to a linux cluster. I am trying to port CESM 1.2.2 as per the advice of my supervisor in a linux server having 24 processors each having 2 threads in my university. There is no system administrator.