Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Is ozone zonal uniform?

Lij

lijt1024
I used "FWsc2000climo" for simulation. And i changed the ozone forcing file. Forcing the ozone in the file is three-dimensional(time,lev,lat).
I would like to know whether the ozone is uniform or non-uniform in the latitudes when the model is operating.
If the ozone in the model is non-uniform in latitude, what causes the non-uniform in latitude of ozone and how is the ozone distributed?

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Ozone is not distributed uniformly in latitude in the Earth's stratosphere. Stratospheric ozone is largely produced by photolysis in the Tropics, and transported poleward by the large-scale (Brewer-Dobson) circulation of the stratosphere. FWsc2000climo is a compset for the specified chemistry version of WACCM, known as SC-WACCM. SC-WACCM uses prescribed ozone fields generated as output from WACCM runs with full (TSMLT1) chemistry.

Lij

lijt1024
Ozone is not distributed uniformly in latitude in the Earth's stratosphere. Stratospheric ozone is largely produced by photolysis in the Tropics, and transported poleward by the large-scale (Brewer-Dobson) circulation of the stratosphere. FWsc2000climo is a compset for the specified chemistry version of WACCM, known as SC-WACCM. SC-WACCM uses prescribed ozone fields generated as output from WACCM runs with full (TSMLT1) chemistry.
Thank you very much for your answer.
I want to express whether the forcing of ozone (time, Lev, LAT) every 5 days during the operation of "FWSC2000" will cause the zonal heterogeneity of ozone due to "U" or other factors.

mmills

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
No, there will not be any zonal heterogeneity in ozone in SC-WACCM. The values used to force ozone in SC-WACCM come from zonal means of 5-day averages of O3 output from WACCM run with interactive chemistry. There is no longitude component to the ozone forcing file, so it is zonally symmetric.