Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Is there available CLM-CN spin-up initial condition files for download?

Dear all;

In the user guide, it recommends to run CLMCN for 600 years (accelerated spin-up), and then run it for a simulation year to derive the restart file for a further spin up of CN (at least 50 years).

I am wondering if first-step spin-up initial files (after 600 years) are avaialbe to download somewhere. I will appreciate if someone can provide an answer.

Rui

slevis

Certain spun up files (from the last and not the first step) are publicly available with the 2010 ccsm4 and cesm1 releases. These can be mapped to different resolutions using the interpinic tool, also available with the 2010 model releases. If fellow users have other files that they are willing to share, that's great, too.

Sam Levis

slevis said:
Certain spun up files (from the last and not the first step) are publicly available with the 2010 ccsm4 and cesm1 releases. These can be mapped to different resolutions using the interpinic tool, also available with the 2010 model releases. If fellow users have other files that they are willing to share, that's great, too.

Sam Levis

Dear Sam,

Thank you for your reply. I still have a question though. For example, if I do a ccsm run (without CN), the initial land surface file is "clmi.BCN.2000-01-01_1.9x2.5_gx1v6_simyr2000_c100309.nc" and there is no carbon information such as soil carbon etc. in the history or restart file, which make sense. However, on the other hand, if I do a ccsm run with CN, the initial land surface file it uses is the same and there will be carbon variables in the output histroy file. But where is the inital carbon information in the run with CN, if the initial condition file "clmi.BCN.2000-01-01_1.9x2.5_gx1v6_simyr2000_c100309.nc" is a spun-up file, I would expect to find some carbon information in the file.

I will appreciate if you can help me understand this. Thank you very much.

Rui

slevis

The file clmi.BCN.2000-01-01_1.9x2.5_gx1v6_simyr2000_c100309.nc comes from a run with active CN.

Sam

I am running CLMCN and it ran 1100years but the output is not stable still there is a trend. I am wondering how long it is going to take to reach stable state. If you can provide me spun up files, if u have it will be very useful.

Thanks in advance.
Dev