Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Issue building ctsm single point case: "No default value found for lower_boundary_condition"

adamhb

Adam Hanbury-Brown
Hi all,

I'm getting the following error when running ./case.build for a single point case using ctsm5.1.dev115 / fates:sci.1.61.0_api.25.0.0 /
cime6.0.45 running on Cheyenne.

ERROR: Command /glade/u/home/adamhb/CTSM/bld/build-namelist failed rc=255
out=
err=ERROR : CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::add_default() : No default value found for fsurdat.
Are defaults provided for this resolution and land mask?

In the create_newcase call (see attached) I point to a users mods directory that contains user_nl_clm and "shell commands" files pointing to the subsetted data used for my point.

The following line does get copied into the user_nl_clm file in my case dir so I believe the model build scripts should have access to the surface data info at my site.
fsurdat = '/glade/scratch/adamhb/my_subset_data/CZ2/surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_Irrig_CMIP6_simyr2000_my_point_c220802.nc'.

I get the above error even if I try other versions of CTSM, FATES, and CIME. For example, I've tried FATES api 24 with ctsm5.1.dev099 and cime6.0.80.

The bash script I use to create the case is attached.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Adam

Attachments

• build_script_CZ2.txt
    3.7 KB · Views: 6

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I can take a closer look at this once cheyenne comes back up. I do seem to recall getting that error when creating a case using that kind of configuration. However, after running case.setup and then modifying user_nl_clm, preview_namelists completes without an error.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Try changing this:

use_bedrock = true

to this:

use_bedrock = .true.

adamhb

Adam Hanbury-Brown
Yes! That was it. Thank you! Not sure how I accidentally got rid of those two periods... but really appreciate the second pair of eyes on that script.