Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

License to release/publish modified code

pduarte8

Pedro Duarte
Dear All,

I have a paper submitted to Geoscientific Model Development (GMD) where I describe a new parameterization to compute nutrient diffusion at the ocean-sea ice interface. I used CICE + Icepack and made the changes in my fork to the CICE consortium: pduarte8/CICE (in fact this fork was done in February 2020 when attending a course you organized at NCAR). My plan is, depending on the paper acceptance, to follow your procedures to propose changes in the code. However, for the time being I need to know how and what can I share through my fork because GMD demands that code is available in a permanent adress. So my questions are:
1) May I share only the code I changed?
2) May I share my entire fork? This will give access to CICE+Icepack to everybody getting into my fork.
3) Do I need to refer some license or any othe formality paart from citing the CICE-consortium?

With my best regards,

Pedro Duarte

Pedro,
You certainly have permission to share your fork with its modifications of the Consortium's codes.

Rather than pointing people directly to your fork, our recommendation is to do a tag or a release from your fork/branch on github, and post that on zenodo. That way you'd get a DOI, and in the description you can also put information about the origin of the code (i.e. link to the Consortium including its licensing information) as well as information about what you changed. Later, if your paper is published, you can update the description on zenodo to include the reference. Also, you can link to the CICE Consortium community on your zenodo entry, and it will show up on our list.

Re licensing, see the info in 1. Introduction - CICE — CICE documentation and the LICENSE and DistributionPolicy files at the top of the code repos.

When you're ready to share your code changes, you can create a PR, or ask us for help stepping through the process.
Best,
e