Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Load balancing CESM2

Shreya Bhowmick

Shreya Bhowmick
Hi everyone,

I have ported CESM 2.2.0 to a Linux server ( Intel(R) Xeon(R) 4310 ) with 2 CPUs(or sockets) each having 12 cores, 2 threads per core i.e. 48 processes. I am running the compset FHIST with irrigation starting from year 1979. Looking at the output files, I find that the 14 model days are simulated in 3 hours (approx. throughput of 0.306 simulated years/day) which is quite slow. I have attached the PE layout. Is there possible way to increase the speed of the run?
Earlier, I used the same architecture for running FAMIPCAM5 compset in cesm 1.2.2 and got the throughput of 0.64 simulated years/day.

Thank you for your time.
With regards,
Shreya.

Attachments

• env_mach_pes.xml.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 5

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not sure how this works when you have MAX_MPI_TASKS_PER_NODE=12. If you are running 48 tasks on one node than this value should be 48 as should MAX_TASKS_PER_NODE. In any case I think that you can expect cesm2 to cost about 2x what cesm1 did so your results are not surprising.