Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

manage_externals error in build

bcash@gmu_edu

I have been getting the following error today when trying to build a clone of the DECK 2-degree model. I don't think I have changed anything from my earlier build procedure, but have not gotten this error before.

Building cesm with output to /glade/scratch/bcash/exact.clone/bld/cesm.bldlog.210713-094858
ERROR: Error gathering provenance information from manage_externals.

manage_externals error message:

manage_externals output:
Processing externals description file : Externals.cfg
Processing externals description file : Externals_CISM.cfg
Processing externals description file : Externals_CLM.cfg
Processing externals description file : Externals_POP.cfg
Checking status of externals: cam, dictionary keys changed during iteration

To solve this, either:

(1) Find and fix the problem: From /glade/work/bcash/ssf/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/.., try to get this command to work:
manage_externals/checkout_externals --status --verbose --no-logging

(2) If you don't need provenance information, rebuild with --skip-provenance-check

mlevy

Michael Levy
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I would try running ./case.build --skip-provenance-check and see if the model builds successfully. If the model builds, and is bit-for-bit with the case you cloned when you run it, then I would not be concerned about the provenance check. If it doesn't build or the solution does not match what you expect, it might be indicating that something has changed in /glade/work/bcash/ssf/my_cesm_sandbox and we need to determine what.

bcash@gmu_edu

It did build, but it does not match the output from the previous run when I look at the first month of output. I'm really at a loss at this point for how to reproduce this existing DECK case. My case root is here if anyone has a change to take a look and see what I am doing wrong:

/glade/work/bcash/ssf/my_cesm_sandbox/cime/scripts/exact.clone