Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

mandatory forcing variables to drive CLM5

xgao304

I am in the process of generating our in-house future forcing data set to run CLM5, based on the statistical downscaling method. So far I have only used the provided forcing data sets (i.e. GSWP3). I am just wondering what are the mandatory variables to drive CLM5 among the commonly used 7 variables: tbot (air temperature), prectmms (precipitation), FSDS (solar radiation), wind (wind speed), QBOT( specific humidity), FLDS (longwave radiation), PSRF(surface pressure). As I recall, in the previous CLM versions, you don't have to have all the seven variables as input as some variables can be derived inside the codes. I am trying to look into the source codes, but am unable to find out the answer.

Any information is appreciated.

Xiang

xgao304

Dr. Oleson,

I checked the link, just have one question:

Isn't PSRF required to derive the atmospheric vapor pressure
e_{atm}
according to (2.33.10)? vapor pressure is also used to derive the FLDS if we don't provide FLDS.

Thanks,

Xiang

xgao304

OK. I see the following:

If not provided by the user, the atmospheric pressure
P_{atm}
(Pa) is set equal to the standard atmospheric pressure
P_{std} =101325
Pa, and surface pressure
P_{srf}
(Pa) is set equal to
P_{atm}

Thanks,

qian yang

qian yang
dear oleson
I have a question that In the GSWP3 datasets, does solar radiation (The total solar radiation) refer to solar shortwave radiation, or solar shortwave radiation plus solar long wave radiation? I don't know much about atmosphere and would like to consult you.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Solar radiation is divided into two broad spectral bands, the visible waveband at wavelengths less than 0.7 micrometers and the near-infrared waveband at wavelengths greater than 0.7 micrometers. It does not include longwave radiation which is at wavebands greater than 4 micrometers. See here for a discussion of GSWP3 forcing data: