Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Missing debug info

samrabin

Sam Rabin
I've compiled CLM with DEBUG=TRUE, but for some reason I'm not getting any useful output.

Code:
0:   Creating variable x0
0:   Creating variable x1
0:   Creating variable y0
0:   Creating variable y1
0:   Creating variable zocn
0:   Creating variable artm
0:   Creating variable smb
0:   Creating variable thk
0:   Creating variable topg
0:   Creating variable usurf
71:MPT ERROR: Rank 71(g:71) received signal SIGSEGV(11).
71:    Process ID: 45391, Host: r14i0n20, Program: /glade/scratch/samrabin/f10_f10_mg37_debug/bld/cesm.exe
71:    MPT Version: HPE MPT 2.22  03/31/20 15:59:10
71:
71:MPT: --------stack traceback-------
71:
71:MPT: -----stack traceback ends-----
71:MPT: On host r14i0n20, Program /glade/scratch/samrabin/f10_f10_mg37_debug/bld/cesm.exe, Rank 71, Process 45391: Dumping core on signal SIGSEGV(11) into directory /glade/scratch/samrabin/f10_f10_mg37_debug/run
-1:MPT ERROR: MPI_COMM_WORLD rank 71 has terminated without calling MPI_Finalize()
-1:    aborting job
MPT: Received signal 11

Is there anything I can do to convince the debugger to give me that traceback?

(From /glade/scratch/samrabin/f10_f10_mg37_debug/run/cesm.log.2860510.chadmin1.ib0.cheyenne.ucar.edu.220214-175618)

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Sounds like from your other post that you are making progress. Regarding getting more output, the only thing I can think of is to try another compiler, which sometimes gives more or at least different information.

samrabin

Sam Rabin
Hmm, unfortunately with the gnu compiler it crashes during a history write before the first timestep, and with others (aside from intel) I can't even build (errors about modules not being able to load). Is there any guide on how I'm supposed to do this? I can only think of changing COMPILER via xmlchange.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I think you can specify the compiler as an argument to create_newcase:

--compiler COMPILER