Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Missing .nc file in CPL part of CCSM3 build

Hello, I have a strange version of CCSM3 here (timestamped 20041005-ymd).
I am trying to make it work on intel compiler (10.1 20080801).
So far the compiler part goes well (as it seems), I got a problem with the cpl part of the build, maybe due to some input/output data missing.

I already have a dataset and have downloaded input data from ESG, but all I got from the input data is a .readme and a .ieeer8 file.

Following is the error message I got in cpl logfile:

Code:
Fri Mar 6 15:31:19 BRT 2009 /home/avenger/ccsm3_ibis/cases/scratch/avenger/cpl/cpl.log.090306-153114
cp cpl/cpl6/map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc to map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc
cp: cannot stat `cpl/cpl6/map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc': No such file or directory
cp /home/avenger/ccsm3_ibis/cases/scratch/inputdata/cpl/cpl6/map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc to map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc
cp: cannot stat `/home/avenger/ccsm3_ibis/cases/scratch/inputdata/cpl/cpl6/map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc': No such file or directory
cp /home/avenger/ccsm3_ibis/cases/scratch/inputdata_user/cpl/cpl6/map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc to map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc
cp: cannot stat `/home/avenger/ccsm3_ibis/cases/scratch/inputdata_user/cpl/cpl6/map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc': No such file or directory
ccsm_getinput FAILED: map_T42_to_gx1v3_aave_da_010709.nc

It is clearly due to the fact I don't have this map_T42 file where the scripts expect it to be, but I don't have it anywhere in the machine as well. Is this file generated in build-time, or is it somewhere to be downloaded? I looked throught the disk for any map_T42_to* file with no luck.

Thank you!!! :)

I found out how to fix it. I had to download a file (coupling for all resolutions) from earh system grid, and I will tell the steps to do so here:

- Access and log on to http://www.earthsystemgrid.org/ website. You might need to make an account, and it will take a lil longer to get done because people there manually accepts accounts and make them active.
- On the 'Browse Dataset Catalogs' box, click the 'CCSM (Community Climate System Model)' link.
- Click 'CCSM 3.0 release' link (I am using CCSM 3.0 by the way)
- Now, 'CCSM 3.0 input data'
- To the date of the writing, it was on the 6th entry. The name of the final link is 'coupler data files for all resolutions'

Right. It is ~500 megs worth of downloading. Once it is done, untar it (why isn't it gzipped or bzip2-ed??) and you'll get an cpl/ folder with other inputdata and inputdata_user. The files are into:

Code:
cpl/inputdata/cpl/cpl6

What I have done now is linking cpl/inputdata/cpl into scratch/testcase/cpl/ directory, in other words, you have to run the .build script for it to make the first directories, watch it bail out on error, and then, supposing you have decompressed the coupler tarfile to your home directory inside a 'ccsm3' directory (/home/youruser/ccsm3/cpl):

Code:
ln -s ~/ccsm3/cpl/inputdata/cpl ~/ccsm3/scratch/casename/cpl/.

Three notes:
1) I have specified CASE_ROOT to be ~/ccsm3/cases
2) I have specified $SCRATCH to be ~/ccsm3/scratch
3) You will have a ~/ccsm3/scratch/casename/cpl/cpl/cpl6 path after the link. It may look strange and ugly the repeated cpl/cpl, but it is how the script is 'supposed' to work. Don't ask me why, and how one thought the files will be there automatically, I might have missed the part which attempted to copy/link the files there, as it did not give me any warning or error during the case creation steps.

Now I got it to the compiling phase but I am getting some compilation errors that I will try to figure them out later. I doubt anyone around would interest on that but if do, let me know (might send a PM as I am not sure I will be checking this forum too often as it seems people in general doesn't too... :)

Hope it helps someone someday! :]