Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

model spin-up time

Hi,
I am running CCSM2.0.1 fully coupled model with T42 resolution. My question is: how many years does it take for the fully coupled model to get to equilibrium? I notice that there is monthly output data named case b20.007 available in MSS storage since model year 350, does that mean the spin-up time for the fully coupled model is 350 years?

jmccaa

Yes, the spin-up time for the fully coupled model is on the order of hundreds of years. However, since the longest time scales in the coupled system are in the ocean component (and are orders of magnitude longer than the atmosphere's), you'll probably want to post your question on the CCSM message board instead of the atmosphere model message board.