Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Modern day (default) mk_ocn_grid settings?

michelle_dvorak

Michelle Dvorak
Please fill in all relevant information below, deleting the red text after you have read it.

Before submitting a help request, please check to see if your question is already answered:
- Search the forums for similar issues
- Check the CIME troubleshooting guide to see if any suggestions there solve your problem
- Check any other relevant CESM documentation

What version of the code are you using?
- CESM staff members will mainly provide answers for supported model versions, as outlined in the CESM support policy, and can only provide limited help for versions that are no longer supported. You may ask questions about unsupported versions, but may need to rely on community answers.
- For CESM2.1.2 onwards run the script ./describe_version from the top level of your CESM clone to find the version
- From older model versions, provide the output from running the following commands from the top level of your CESM clone
> git describe
> ./manage_externals/checkout_externals --status --verbose

Have you made any changes to files in the source tree?
- Describe any changes (code, xml files, etc.)

Describe every step you took leading up to the problem:
- Describe every step you took, starting with the create_newcase command and including any changes you made to xml files, user_nl files, etc. Please try to reproduce the problem first using your own instructions.

If this is a port to a new machine: Please attach any files you added or changed for the machine port (e.g., config_compilers.xml, config_machines.xml, and config_batch.xml) and tell us the compiler version you are using on this machine.
Please attach any log files showing error messages or other useful information.

- If the error occurs during the build, please attach the appropriate build log file showing the compilation error message.
- If the error occurs during the run, please attach all log files from the run (cpl.log, cesm.log and all component log files).

Describe your problem or question:

michelle_dvorak

Michelle Dvorak
Hello, sorry for the accidental post without content. My question is here.

I am attempting to create a new "paleoclimate" simulation in which I'm making a change only to a localized portion of the modern day topography (ice sheet and bathymetry of Antarctica). I am relying on the CESM1.2 PaleoTookit and instructions to guide me.

First, I want to make sure that I am running these scripts correctly by creating a gx1v6 ocean grid for the modern-day from scratch. However, just running the mk_ocn_1x1_template.csh script using an ETOPO1 modern topography + bathymetry file (which I've interpolated onto 0.5x0.5 grid) gives me weird pole placements, and the output continental configuration and grid looks nothing like the standard piControl pop output (also from gx1v6) (should it?).

My question is, firstly, where should I place the poles (latnp, latsp etc.), and should I make any other changes to nlatn, nlats, nx, nz etc. to perfectly reproduce the modern day ocean grid?

Secondly, the instructions note that the bathymetry needs to be 0.5x0.5 degrees. But, the change I want to implement will need to be at 1x1 degrees. Will this work?

Lastly, will I ultimately be able to use the gx1v6 grid and mapping files that I create (using this routine) with CESM2?

Thank you!

Vote Upvote 0 Downvote