Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Modification of timesteps for the physics and dynamics

Dear CAM users,

I know that in FV dynamical core CAM uses the same timestep for the physics (1800s) at different resolutions and different timesteps for the dynamics at the different resolutions, which is automatically set in CAM.
(from previous thread)
Is this also true in the EUL dynamical core?

In EUL dynamical core, default timestep for T42 is 1200s. Is this for a physics timestep , or for a dynamics timestep, or for the both?

If I want to use a half timesteps of the defaults for the physics and the dynamics with the same horizontal resolution in the EUL core, how can I do?

Is it possible to set "DTIME=600" in namelist?

Thank you.
-skkim-

Dear Skkim,
Altough time step is more for a dynamical core,by default in CAM all physics except radiation parametrizations follow same time step. so it is very easy if you want to use half default time step for all. Change time step by using DTime to half and change frequency of radiation computations by using namelist variable IRADLW,IRADSW,IRADAE..

Yes you can put time step Dtime to 600 in EUL dycore safely or other, ofcourse with CFL restriction.

Regards,
Suvarchal

Yes
skkim said:
Dear CAM users,

I know that in FV dynamical core CAM uses the same timestep for the physics (1800s) at different resolutions and different timesteps for the dynamics at the different resolutions, which is automatically set in CAM.
(from previous thread)
Is this also true in the EUL dynamical core?

In EUL dynamical core, default timestep for T42 is 1200s. Is this for a physics timestep , or for a dynamics timestep, or for the both?

If I want to use a half timesteps of the defaults for the physics and the dynamics with the same horizontal resolution in the EUL core, how can I do?

Is it possible to set "DTIME=600" in namelist?

Thank you.
-skkim-