Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Modify the prescribed SST file for the QPC6 model

mattymiller

Matt Miller
Hello!

I'm trying to run a modified aquaplanet model witht he QPC6 compset, and I'm unsure of how to introduce my own prescribed sst. All I'm trying to do is give the model a zonally equal sst profile where the temp is 27C at the equator and 15C at the poles. Any advice on where/how to modify an already existing sst file or where/how I can link to my own?

Thank you!

brianpm

Have a look at the file
$CESMROOT/cime/src/components/data_comps/docn/docn_comp_mod.F90

The analytical aquaplanet SSTs are provided by the subroutine prescribed_sst. It sounds like a good option for your case is to start from one of the standard aquaplanet SST options (probably "QOBS", which is sst_option == 3. You could modify the analytical function to be 15C at the poles.

The other option is to generate a netCDF SST dataset and supply that as the aquaplanet lower boundary condition. To do that, see the documentation in the CAM6 user guide:

4.2.1.4. Example 4: Aquaplanet with user-specified SST dataset