Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

modifying the solar constant in RRTM

We are attempting to run some highly idealized aquaplanet experiments with CAM5 which involve modifying the solar constant and fixing the solar zenith angle so that the earth is sunny everywhere all of the time.  With CAM4 and the CAMRT radiation scheme this was easily done by modifying the source code line that computes the variable SOLIN.  However, with CAM5 and RRTM this same mod does not achieve the desired result as it appears that SOLIN is not directly tied to the shortwave flux computations as it is in CAMRT.Is there another way of going about this in RRTM?Thanks,Mark Branson

Zi-Wen Han

Zi-Wen Han
Hi Branson
I meet the same problem, changing the 'solin' has no impact on the climate system. Have you solved it?
Han.

Zi-Wen Han

Zi-Wen Han
Hi Ziwen,

I have the same problem. Have you solved it?

Thanks,
Linqiang
Hi Linqiang,

Unfortunately, I think there is no simple way to do this in RRTMG unless you modify the parameterization extensively, as the "solin" here is independent (with no subsequent computations). My suggestion is to use CESM1-CAM4 or change the exp design.

Ziwen

Helq

Linqiang He
Hi Linqiang,

Unfortunately, I think there is no simple way to do this in RRTMG unless you modify the parameterization extensively, as the "solin" here is independent (with no subsequent computations). My suggestion is to use CESM1-CAM4 or change the exp design.

Ziwen
Thanks so much for your prompt reply and advice! I'll give it a try.

Best,
Linqiang