Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

MOM6 with JRA55_do dataset

Soma Mishra

Soma Mishra
Dear all,
How to prepare the JRA55_do dataset for running with MOM6? I am using OM4_025.JRA and I have run using the provided JRA55_do data for 1958. It has run succesfully. I have prepared the runoff and calving files by using the regrid_runoff.py. How to take care of other datasets like, huss,prsn,prra,psl,rlds,rsds,tas,uas,vas?
It is showing the error :

1.time_interp_external 2: time 715159 (19590101.010000 is before range of list 715159-715523(19590101.013000 - 19591231.223000),file=./INPUT/JRA_prra.nc,field=prra

what to do? Please help me in this line.

Thanks and regards,
Soma Mishra

adcroft

Alistair Adcroft
This is because FMS can only interpolate in time, not extrapolate (which is a good restriction). We pad the dataset by prepending the last day of the previous year, and appending the first day of the next year, to each file in JRA. A tool to do this is at GitHub - adcroft/pad_JRA: Makefile to create "padded" versions of the JRA-55-do forcing files. A repo with the checksums using this tool is at GitHub - raphaeldussin/padded_JRA55do_v1.5.0: padding of JRA55do v1.5.0 and which has more instructions so I would start there.

Soma Mishra

Soma Mishra
Dear Sir,
After padding and regridding the runoff and licalvf, when I am starting the interannual run with restart from core spinup it is showing:
FATAL from PE 24: file/field ./INPUT/friver_1980.nc/friver couldnt recognize axis atts in time_interp_external

What to do in this line?
Regards,
Soma Mishra

adcroft

Alistair Adcroft
This is what `ncdump -h` should show:
$ ncdump -h /lustre/f2/pdata/gfdl/gfdl_O/datasets/reanalysis/JRA55-do/v1.5.0/padded/friver_input4MIPs_atmosphericState_OMIP_MRI-JRA55-do-1-5-0_gr_19800101-19801231.padded.nc
netcdf friver_input4MIPs_atmosphericState_OMIP_MRI-JRA55-do-1-5-0_gr_19800101-19801231.padded {
dimensions:
time = UNLIMITED ; // (368 currently)
lat = 720 ;
lon = 1440 ;
bnds = 2 ;
variables:
float friver(time, lat, lon) ;
friver:standard_name = "water_flux_into_sea_water_from_rivers" ;
friver:long_name = "Water Flux into Sea Water from Rivers" ;
friver:comment = "computed as the river flux of liquid water into the ocean divided by the area of the ocean portion of the grid cell, input4MIPs_table_comment: computed as the river flux of water into the ocean divided by the area of the ocean portion of the grid cell" ;
friver:units = "kg m-2 s-1" ;
friver:cell_methods = "area: mean where sea time: mean" ;
friver:cell_measures = "area: areacello" ;
friver:missing_value = 1.e+20f ;
friver:_FillValue = 1.e+20f ;
double lat(lat) ;
lat:bounds = "lat_bnds" ;
lat:units = "degrees_north" ;
lat:axis = "Y" ;
lat:long_name = "Latitude" ;
lat:standard_name = "latitude" ;
double lat_bnds(lat, bnds) ;
double lon(lon) ;
lon:bounds = "lon_bnds" ;
lon:units = "degrees_east" ;
lon:axis = "X" ;
lon:long_name = "Longitude" ;
lon:standard_name = "longitude" ;
double lon_bnds(lon, bnds) ;
double time(time) ;
time:bounds = "time_bnds" ;
time:units = "days since 1900-01-01 00:00:00" ;
time:calendar = "gregorian" ;
time:axis = "T" ;
time:long_name = "time" ;
time:standard_name = "time" ;
double time_bnds(time, bnds) ;
Check that your file looks the same. I note this is year 1980; did it work for other years?

Soma Mishra

Soma Mishra
Dear Sir,
I have identified my error. Now, I have modified the i,j and time attributes in the river_runoff file and licalvf file by adding cartesian_axis. Now it is running. Thanks for your reply.
With regards,
soma Mishra

Soma Mishra

Soma Mishra
Dear Sir,
But while I have tried running MOM6 spinup with JRA climatogy it is showing the error:
FATAL from PE 1204: time_interp_external 2: time 693609 (19000101.010000 is before range of list 693609-693975(19000101.013000 - 19010101.223000),file=./INPUT/JRA_rlds_clim_t.nc,field=rlds
In the input.nml I have strarted the model with 00 hour but some forcing like rlds,rsds are started at 01:30 hours.
How to proceed? Please help me.

With regards,
Soma Mishra

If it's a climatology with an annual cycle, you can add the this attribute to the netcdf file:
time:modulo = " "
Otherwise I just lie and change the first time in the file to be 00.