Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Moving from Cori to Nersc, case build failed.

CaliFornia

CF
Hi everyone,

I was running simulations with E3SM on Cori and now I have to move to Nersc with the same codes and scripts.

What I did:
Edited some necessary vars such as machine name, case name and file paths in the run script.sh.

Problem after executing the run script:
----- Starting create_newcase -----
No error was found
----- Starting case_setup -----
Configuring E3SM to use the COSP simulator
Successfully cleaned env_mach_specific.xml
ERROR: module command /usr/share/lmod/lmod/libexec/lmod python load PrgEnv-gnu/8.2.0 gcc/10.3.0 craype-accel-host cray-libsci craype cray-mpich/8.1.13 cray-hdf5-parallel/1.12.1.1 cray-netcdf-hdf5parallel/4.8.1.1 cray-parallel-netcdf/1.12.2.1 cmake/3.22.0 failed with message:
Lmod has detected the following error: These module(s) or extension(s) exist but
cannot be loaded as requested: "cray-mpich/8.1.13", "PrgEnv-gnu/8.2.0"
Try: "module spider cray-mpich/8.1.13 PrgEnv-gnu/8.2.0" to see how to load the
module(s).
----- Starting case_build -----
ERROR: Could not find a matching MPI for attributes: {'compiler': 'gnu', 'mpilib': 'mpich', 'threaded': False}
ERROR: Could not find a matching MPI for attributes: {'compiler': 'gnu', 'mpilib': 'mpich', 'threaded': False}
----- Starting runtime_options -----

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Thank you very much!

CaliFornia

CF
Hi everyone,

I was running simulations with E3SM on Cori and now I have to move to Nersc with the same codes and scripts.

What I did:
Edited some necessary vars such as machine name, case name and file paths in the run script.sh.

Problem after executing the run script:
----- Starting create_newcase -----
No error was found
----- Starting case_setup -----
Configuring E3SM to use the COSP simulator
Successfully cleaned env_mach_specific.xml
ERROR: module command /usr/share/lmod/lmod/libexec/lmod python load PrgEnv-gnu/8.2.0 gcc/10.3.0 craype-accel-host cray-libsci craype cray-mpich/8.1.13 cray-hdf5-parallel/1.12.1.1 cray-netcdf-hdf5parallel/4.8.1.1 cray-parallel-netcdf/1.12.2.1 cmake/3.22.0 failed with message:
Lmod has detected the following error: These module(s) or extension(s) exist but
cannot be loaded as requested: "cray-mpich/8.1.13", "PrgEnv-gnu/8.2.0"
Try: "module spider cray-mpich/8.1.13 PrgEnv-gnu/8.2.0" to see how to load the
module(s).
----- Starting case_build -----
----- Starting runtime_options -----

Does anyone know how to solve this issue? Thank you very much!
I edited /cime_config/machines/config_machines.xml based on the error message, and the command "module spider xxxx" sometimes shows several different versions of the software. Now the model can run, but how do I know if I am using the right version? Does it matter? Thank you.