Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Nested runs in CLM at different resolutions

Hello,

Is it possible to use the restart file from one coarser resolution CLM run and use it as a initial file for a higher resolution CLM run within that Grid ?

Or is there any other way of nesting CLM runs of different resolutions ?

Raj

slevis

So there's a tool available in the clm directories called interpinic. This will map initial/restart data using a nearest-neighbor method from one restart file to another, theoretically from any global resolution to any other.

I have not tried the nesting idea with the clm nor using interpinic for non-global grids. Not sure if either of these is an option at this time.

Insights on this, anyone?

Sam

I did downscale other input files in CLM using MATLAB but I have not done so with the restart/initial files. I actually wrote my own code for simple downscaling and then writing the data in the netcdf format. I will have a look at interpinic though.

Thanks .

Raj

I have successfully mapped the coarser resolution restart file into the higher resolution template which I created by running the CLM at arbitrary initialization for a very short time.

I just followed the directions in the CLM user's guide and there was no trouble .

Thanks Sam !!