Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

New grid configurations (2 degree)

Whuiskamp

Willem Huiskamp
Hi all,
Following on from my less-than-successful efforts at creating a 3 degree configuration, I will soon begin work on a 2 degree setup. A couple of questions:
1) Has anyone else in the community begun similar work? I know there were discussions of a similar configuration for the new paleo CESM model. It would be great to not re-invent the wheel...
2) Am I correct that the MIDAS tools are the intended workflow for creating MOM6 grids?
3) More tangentially, is there some rule of thumb for how the number of vertical layers should scale with resolution? Models tend to vary considerably in this regard.

Any other comments/advice are welcome.

gmarques

Gustavo Marques
Staff member
Hi Willem,

We have started the effort of putting together a 2 deg version for CESM, but we have not gone very far yet (mainly because of human resources). We have created the nominal 2 deg grid using a modified version of the ORCA grid generation (https://github.com/NCAR/ORCA_gridgen). We should collaborate on this effort and I am happy to meet sometime soon and share what we've got.
For 3), this paper gives a useful recommendation ("Global models need 50 levels to resolve the 1st baroclinic mode"), although this was illustrated using a high-resolution configuration (1/10 deg global model).

Gustavo

Whuiskamp

Willem Huiskamp
Hey Gustavo,

Thanks for the reply and great to hear you've begun work on this. I'll send you an email soon so we can organise things from here on out.