Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

No component log files were created

yugong

yugong
Hi everyone! I am running a FWHIST case with slurm batch system. However, i cannot find atm.log or lnd.log files under /output/CASENAME/run, but i can find cesm.log and cpl.log under this dir.
A few days ago, I run a same case in another machine without batch system, and I can find atm.log or lnd.log under /output/CASENAME/run
I don't know what makes log file missing.

In the machine with batch system, i create the case with
./create_newcase --case ~/CESM/cases/FWHIST_default --compset FWHIST --res f09_f09_mg17 --user-mods-dir ~/CESM/user_mods_dir/FWHIST_default/
srun ./case.build --skip-provenance-check
./case.submit
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if without --skip-provenance-check it raised error when buiding as follow:

ERROR: Error gathering provenance information from manage_externals.

manage_externals error message:
ERROR:root:SVN returned invalid XML message

manage_externals output:
Processing externals description file : Externals.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CAM.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM/components/cam)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CISM.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM/components/cism)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CLM.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM/components/clm)
Processing externals description file : Externals_POP.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM/components/pop)
Checking local status of required & optional components: cam, chem_proc,
ERROR: SVN returned invalid XML message

To solve this, either:

(1) Find and fix the problem: From /public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM, try to get this command to work:
manage_externals/checkout_externals --status --verbose --no-logging

(2) If you don't need provenance information, rebuild with --skip-provenance-check

(base) [elzd_2024_000125@login04 FWHIST_default]$ cd ..
(base) [elzd_2024_000125@login04 cases]$ cd ..
(base) [elzd_2024_000125@login04 CESM]$ ./manage_externals/checkout_externals --status --verbose --no-logging
Processing externals description file : Externals.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CAM.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM/components/cam)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CISM.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM/components/cism)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CLM.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM/components/clm)
Processing externals description file : Externals_POP.cfg (/public/home/elzd_2024_000125/CESM/components/pop)
Checking local status of required & optional components: cam, chem_proc, ERROR:root:SVN returned invalid XML message

ERROR: SVN returned invalid XML message
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, i add --skip-provenance-check after "./case.build" (manage_externals/checkout_externals --status --verbose --no-logging did not help)

In the machine without batch system, I just build with [B]./case.build[/B] . I don't know if the [SIZE=4]--skip-provenance-check[/SIZE]
make the log files missing. I have try to add --skip-provenance-check ,and then i can also find log files in this machine.

atm.log file is important for me, but i don't know what makes it missing.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

yugong

yugong
I find that in cpl.log the program stop at (component_init_cc:mct) : Initialize component atm , thus there is no atm.log generated. However, why CESM stop? The squeue command shows the job is running, and CESM has been running for 3 hours with 128 pes.

yugong

yugong
It seems that the model is frozen at the step of " Initialize atm component" because of some compiler problem according to CESM1.0.5 stuck at Initialize atm component

Here are my config xml, anyone can give some suggestions? Thanks!

Attachments

• config_batch (2).txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
  • config_compilers (2).txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 0
  • config_machines (2).txt
    3.4 KB · Views: 0

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi,

Did you try what was suggested in the post you linked? To reduce the optimization level? You can adjust the flags in $case_directory/cmake_macros/<compiler>.cmake

Courtney

yugong

yugong
Hi,

Did you try what was suggested in the post you linked? To reduce the optimization level? You can adjust the flags in $case_directory/cmake_macros/<compiler>.cmake

Courtney
Hi Courtney, I have tried to change optimization level, but it did not help. I finally solved this problem by accident through changing the version of netcdf and hdf5. Thank you for your reply!