Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Northward & Eastward Near Surface Wind Speed variables

lvargo@unm_edu

Dear CESM-forum-team,

I’m working with output from the CCSM4 LGM experiment for my thesis. I am having trouble finding Northward & Eastward Near Surface Wind Speed variables for CCSM LGM runs (and Pre-industrial control runs), but can see that other CMIP5/PMIP3 models include these 2 variables. I was told that these variables should exist, I’m wondering if you could help me find where to access them. I do have a Yellowstone account, and could pull them off of NCAR if that is a possibility.

Thank you,

Lauren Vargo
Dept. of Earth and Planetary Sciences
The University of New Mexico
email: lvargo@unm.edu

strandwg

Staff member
 These fields (“uas” and “vas”, 2 meter wind components, analogous to 2-meter temperature, TREFHT) were not provided by any CCSM4/CESM1 run to CMIP5 because the coupler doesn’t save them. UBOT and VBOT from CAM are somewhat close, but at ~60m elevation. 

strandwg

Staff member
 These fields (“uas” and “vas”, 2 meter wind components, analogous to 2-meter temperature, TREFHT) were not provided by any CCSM4/CESM1 run to CMIP5 because the coupler doesn’t save them. UBOT and VBOT from CAM are somewhat close, but at ~60m elevation. 

lvargo@unm_edu

Gary, UBOT and VBOT would be great, I'm just looking for any near surface wind speeds. I ultimately need monthly averages, do you know where I can download these variables? Thank you, Lauren lvargo(at)unm.edu

lvargo@unm_edu

Gary, UBOT and VBOT would be great, I'm just looking for any near surface wind speeds. I ultimately need monthly averages, do you know where I can download these variables? Thank you, Lauren lvargo(at)unm.edu

strandwg

Staff member
You can download these fields from the NCAR ESG portal, at http://www.earthsystemgrid.orgThe case names you want are "b40.1850.track1.1deg.006" (pre-industrial control) and "b40.lgm21ka.1deg.003" (LGM). You'll have to download U and V and extract out the bottom-most level. 

strandwg

Staff member
You can download these fields from the NCAR ESG portal, at http://www.earthsystemgrid.orgThe case names you want are "b40.1850.track1.1deg.006" (pre-industrial control) and "b40.lgm21ka.1deg.003" (LGM). You'll have to download U and V and extract out the bottom-most level.