Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

OBC tangential velocity of Regional MOM6

favorliao

Enhui Liao
Tangential velocity along the boundary could be a source of bias that could influence circulation in the interior. How to control the tangential velocity in the regional MOM6?

favorliao

Enhui Liao
Answers from Matt Harrison:

The tangential velocity is difficult to control . You can try "OBLIQUE/OBLIQUE_TAN or ORLANSKI/ORLANSKI_TAN which do so via radiation. The TRACER_RESERVOIR_LENGTH_SCALE_(IN/OUT) parameters are meant to control the "memory" along the boundaries of the reservoirs, which serve as an outer b.c. for the computation of normal tracer and density gradients and hence the geostrophically balanced tangential flow at the boundaries. I recommend trying these parameters as a starting point before resorting to interior damping. In the development of the regional code, we were determined to go as far as we could to avoid modifications to the interior values. This is a philosophy which we want to try to continue to adhere to.

That said, you can enable the interior tracer nudging using the parameters described in the code here .

I have been experimenting with using enhanced Laplacian viscosity near the boundaries via a spatially-varying background . This seems to help with model stability and using it may improve the interior solution as well. This is something I am continuing to investigate.

Other discussions are also welcome.