Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

OBCs in layered mode—nudging layer thickness?

clpwolfe

Christopher L. Pitt Wolfe
I'm trying to set up simple layered channel configuration with inflow on the western boundary and outflow on the eastern boundary, and I'm having trouble figuring out which fields Ii should set.

For the barotropic flow, I can use Flather and specify external fields the normal velocity and the SSH.

For the baroclinic flow, I figure I can use some combination of nudging for the inflow and Orlanski for the radiation, but as near as I can tell, the velocities can be nudged but not the layer thickness. If I want to specify a geostrophically balanced inflow, can I just specify the normal velocity and leave it up to the dynamics to do the adjustment? Or is there a way to nudge the thickness as well without using a sponge? I'd like to run in adiabatic mode, but that's incompatible with a sponge.

Thanks!
Christopher

Many, many years ago Dale Haidvogel had an internal Kelvin wave test problem in a periodic channel. I tried to make a MOM6 version with open ends, but never found a way to properly drive the inflow of the thing. The barotropic version works like a dream. The baroclinic problem needs someone smarter to look into it.

clpwolfe

Christopher L. Pitt Wolfe
I've been looking at the Kelvin wave example for inspiration, but also noticed that the baroclinic problem didn't work properly. It must be some time before I'm smart enough to make much progress on this front.