Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

output variable Zwt in clm5.0 running single point cases

Mesmer

Nsassila
i want to ask if there is someone that can give me informations about this variable Zwt (water table)?? what input variables can influence it ? if it is possible to give an initial value or to edit his function ? what and where is the datasheet that describe it ? i'm interested on it . how it changes in time . i have attached a pdf file where you can find three graphs of water table in three different years that come from my simulation. There is not a great seasonal change ,why??

thank you

Attachments

• Water table 2014.pdf
    474.1 KB · Views: 8

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
From the CLM technical note (2.7. Hydrology — ctsm release-clm5.0 documentation):

"where the water table
z_{\nabla}
is determined by finding the first soil layer above the bedrock depth (section 2.2.2.2) in which the volumetric water content drops below a specified threshold. The default threshold is set to 0.9."

If your water table is that deep (~8m) with not much seasonal variation, then it implies a dry site with not much seasonality in precip.

For typical seasonal variation in CLM5 ZWT over different regions of the world, go to this diagnostics page, select set3, and then the last column for a given region (Hydrology):

If you want to change the initial value or the formulation of ZWT then search for instances of zwt in the code.