Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

pacemaker experiment with CESM1.2

Dear all,I want to conduct a 5-member ensemble of tropical Atlatnic pacemaker experiments restored to observations for the period 1900-2014 with CESM1.2.How to read observed SST anomaliesn and restoring region, calculate restoring sensible flux and mix it with model-predicted sensible heat flux to the ocean?How to generate initial conditions to reduce uncertainties in the ocean initial state? Should ensemble members be generated by taking initial conditions from historical simulations, picontrol run or by only pertubing atmospheric conditions?Would you mind give me some constructive suggestions?Thank you very much!Best regards,

nanr

Hi Shuai-Lei Yao -Many of your questions are dependent on the science question(s) that you want to address.  For reference, here are two papers documenting a recent NCAR-based set of CESM pacemaker simulations.  

Deser, C., I. R. Simpson, K. A. McKinnon and A. S. Phillips, 2017: The Northern Hemisphere extra-tropical atmospheric circulation response to ENSO: How well do we know it and how do we evaluate models accordingly? J. Climate[/i], 30, 5059-5082, doi: 10.1175/JCLI-D-16-0844.1.

Deser, C., R. Guo and F. Lehner, 2017: The relative contributions of tropical Pacific sea surface temperatures and atmospheric internal variability to the recent global warming hiatus. Geophys. Res. Lett.[/i], doi: 10.1002/2017GL074273.