Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Passing Arrays to icepack_therm_vertical in Icepack

simondriscoll

Simon Driscoll
I have an array, that I'd like to pass into Icepack. And probably will be different each year. I thought of modifying the icedrv_forcing.F90 file as it reads in forcing data, and using this to 'exploit' also passing in other information at the same time/declaring it here.

To then pass it into the subroutine icepack_therm_vertical I'm not quite sure I follow how other variables read in by forcing, e.g. Tair, make their way to icepack_therm_vertical.

If someone can provide me a brief/short overview (or more detailed! :)) on how to do pass information into icepack_therm_vertical from a txt file that would be very useful! :)

Or if not nonetheless a blueprint/description such as "this routine calls forcing, which passes to this, then this and this is how icepack_therm_vertical sees it" would be very useful too. I seem to get lost a bit whilst following them/what starts what etc. Thanks! :)

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Simon,

We do not have that flexibility in Icepack. Have a look at the calls to icepack_step_therm1. This is where the thermo_vertical gets called. The air temperature (Tair) is passed though here. I would really recommend that you read in data in icedrv_forcing.F90. What sort of data? What are the dimensions you are talking about?