Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Past 1000 years regional grid point simulation + DATM

wvsi3w

wvs3iw
Hello everyone,
For a grid point (regional) simulation I am thinking of using PMIP4 datasets because my objective is to do a 1000y (say from year 1000 to 2000) simulation for a regional grid point simulation to see what would happen to the subsurface conditions for that period (and then validate it with some available observational recent data).

I read the tutorial on grid point simulation (https://www2.cgd.ucar.edu/events/2019/ctsm/files/practical4-wieder.pdf) and it is saying that to generate domain and surface dataset singlept script it also will pull DATM forcing for your grid cell. AND There are FIVE modes used with CLM that specify the type of Meteorological data that’s used, which CLMGSWP3 and CLMCRUNCEP are only for the last century (1900 to 2000s).

Do you think it is doable to modify the DATM forcing as those available DATMs do not cover the rest of 1000y forcing data for my objective?

What would be the steps or guidelines if this is doable?

Thanks,

P.S. correct me if I am wrong

wvsi3w

wvs3iw
Hello again,
My previous question was wrong so I fixed it:

For a grid point (regional) simulation I am thinking of using a dataset because my objective is to do an equilibrium simulation (like a piControl run for different model configurations) and this equilibrium can be a 1000-year (say repeating a 50y data for 20 times). This simulation for a regional grid point is to see what would happen to the subsurface conditions for that period. Then when the equilibrium is done I would do Historical and Scenario simulations which I think from 1901 (CRUNCEP) would be a good idea (and for future until 2100 with two SSPs).

I read the tutorial on grid point simulation (https://www2.cgd.ucar.edu/events/2019/ctsm/files/practical4-wieder.pdf) and it says that to generate domain and surface dataset singlept script it also will pull DATM forcing for your grid cell. AND There are FIVE modes used with CLM that specify the type of Meteorological data that are used, which CLMGSWP3 and CLMCRUNCEP are for the last century (1900 to 2000s).

What would be the steps or guidelines if this is doable? I mean what data is best suitable for that equilibrium runs? And is there anyone doing similar thing that I can ask some questions?

Thanks

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Running single point simulations for long periods (e.g., for spinup) and historical and scenario simulations is possible. There are a few different ways to approach this. I would start by getting the latest version of the model which is ctsm5.2.003:

git clone GitHub - ESCOMP/CTSM: Community Terrestrial Systems Model (includes the Community Land Model of CESM)
cd ctsm
./manage_externals/checkout_externals

You can create single point datasets, forcing, etc. by using subset_data which subsets a gridcell of your choice from the global datasets.
See the README in tools/site_and_regional. There is also supplementary information on this here:

You can also experiment with existing single point sites that are already setup using the NEON infrastructure. There is a tutorial here:

with project examples here:

The tutorial was designed for the cloud, which has been taken down, but much of this should be useful nevertheless hopefully with only a few small modifications. The NEON scripts are also in tools/site_and_regional.

wvsi3w

wvs3iw
Running single point simulations for long periods (e.g., for spinup) and historical and scenario simulations is possible. There are a few different ways to approach this. I would start by getting the latest version of the model which is ctsm5.2.003:

git clone GitHub - ESCOMP/CTSM: Community Terrestrial Systems Model (includes the Community Land Model of CESM)
cd ctsm
./manage_externals/checkout_externals

You can create single point datasets, forcing, etc. by using subset_data which subsets a gridcell of your choice from the global datasets.
See the README in tools/site_and_regional. There is also supplementary information on this here:

You can also experiment with existing single point sites that are already setup using the NEON infrastructure. There is a tutorial here:

with project examples here:

The tutorial was designed for the cloud, which has been taken down, but much of this should be useful nevertheless hopefully with only a few small modifications. The NEON scripts are also in tools/site_and_regional.
Thank you @oleson for your response.
Sorry for the late reply, I will dig into that soon.
But is it doable if I use CLM5 (instead of CTSM) (the CLM5 from CESM2.1.3)? Because I am using Canada servers "clusters" to run the model that it took me a lot of efforts and tries to get this model on the system here and I validated it also. So if I need to do CTSM from scratch I don't think it would be as straightforward as one might think due to several system differences here.
Thanks again for your message.