Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

permission denied in ./case.setup

I keep running into the following permission denied error when running ./case.setup:

ERROR: Could not make directory '/mnt/lustre/letscher/$CESMUSER/rtl.001/bld/cpl/obj', error: [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'mnt/lustre/letscher/$CESMUSER'

I have changed the permissions to -rwx for the group (chmod 770) and then all users (chmod 777) on the directory /mnt/lustre/letscher/$CESMUSER
and I still receive the permission denied error.

I have CESM 2.1.3 installed.

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It seems as if the $CESMUSER variable is not being resolved? Is it defined in your environment? Most environments define $USER, maybe that would work better for you? Have you tested this from the command line (without involving cesm)? It could be a permission issue on one of the parent directories.