Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

PFT dimension equivalence: MONTHLY_LAI versus PCT_NAT_PFT

NiCosentino

Nicolas Cosentino
In the prescribed CLM dataset: surfdata_0.9x1.25_hist_16pfts_nourb_CMIP6_simyrPtVg_c181114.nc, I see that PCT_NAT_PFT array has dimensions (lsmlon, lsmlat, natpft), where natpft has indices 1:15. These indices refer to IVT 0-14 in Table 2.2.1 (see here). Instead, the MONTHLY_LAI array has dimensions (lsmlon, lsmlat, lsmpft, time), where lsmpft has indices 1:17. I need to calculate a total LAI, which is the weighted average of each pft LAI, based on the fraction of area covered by each LAI. To do that, however, I need to know how to map between dimensions natpdf and lsmpdf.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me with this.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The last two MONTHLY_LAI values are associated with the generic crop(s). The percentages of those are given by PCT_CFT. They are the percentages of the two crops on the crop landunit, which in turn is given by PCT_CROP, the percentage of crop on the gridcell.