Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

pio build fail

I'm attempting to port CESM 2.1.3 to my local linux cluster and receive an error during the pio build phase related to "can't open module file 'netcdf.mod' for reading at (1): no such file or directory".

pio.bldlog file is attached.

Attachments

• pio.bldlog.220225-161518.txt
    20.2 KB · Views: 8

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I see that it found libnetcdff.so in /usr/lib64/libnetcdff.so
it can't find file netcdf.mod - where is it on your system?
Try setting env variable NetCDF_Fortran_INCLUDE_DIR to that location.

I've located the path to netcdf.mod on my system. However I am unsure where/how to add the env variable for netcdf fortran to that directory.

I have added a line under environment_variables in my config_machines.xml file pointing to the directory containing netcdf.mod using the case sensitive 'NetCDF_Fortran...' that you mentioned as well as in all caps (to match the formatting of 'NETCDF_PATH' there). Both cause ./create_newcase to fail with an error message that states that there is a not well-formed (invalid token) at the line in config_machines.xml where I've entered to path to netcdf.mod.

See below, copied from my machine info within config_machines.xml:

<environment_variables>
<env name="OMP_STACKSIZE">256M</env>
<env name="MPI_TYPE_DEPTH">16</env>
<env name="NETCDF_PATH">/cm/shared/modulefiles/netcdf/gcc/64</env>
<env name="NetCDF_Fortran_INCLUDE_DIR">/usr/lib64/gfortran/modules</env>
</environment_variables>
<resource_limits>
<resource name="RLIMIT_STACK">-1</resource>
</resource_limits>
</machine>

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I don't see any problem with what you've posted here. Please try adding the --debug flag to your create_newcase command and post the resulting error.

Thank you. I edited my config_machines.xml again for NetCDF_Fortran_INCLUDE_DIR and ran create_newcase under debug mode. This time create_newcase completed fine. BUT the pio build failed again under case.build. bldlog attached as is my config_machines.xml file. My machine is called 'marvin' and is the last machine listed in config_machines. It looks like the pio build still can't find NetCDF Fortran. On my system, there is only one netcdf installed at /netcdf/gcc/64/4.6.1. Perhaps this is netcdf_c and I also need to install netcdf_fortran?

Attachments

• pio.bldlog.220228-124404.txt
    57 KB · Views: 4
  • config_machines.xml.txt
    109.1 KB · Views: 4