Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Plan for Neptune parameterization (Holloway, 1992)

YanWang

Yan Wang
Hello there,

I am wondering whether MOM6 will be implemented with Greg Holloway's (1992) Neptune parameterization (Representing Topographic Stress for Large-Scale Ocean Models), which drives a flow toward a maximum-entropy or a minimum-enstrophy state of geostrophic turbulence, prescribed previously using a barotropic geostrophic streamfunction and realized thru some Laplacian or biharmonic restoring forcing? I only saw this sort of parameterization in MOM5, via a 2012 version of documentation Steve Griffies drafted, as well as in the current version of NEMO documentation, but haven't seen it in MOM6.

For your reference, the latest test of a Neptune parameterization in a global model configuration that I am aware of was contributed by Maltrud and Holloway (2008): Redirecting.

Thanks,
Yan