Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

POP2_iage_tracer

HI,

I am working with CESM1.0.2 out of the box for modern day. I have tried running a T31_gx3v7 and also the 1.9x2.5_gx1v6 B cases where I turn off overflow and try to initialize the SST with "internal" or Levitus. I have tried two different approaches both fail when the model tries to restart.

First way I keep iage = true in the ocean namelist
The model runs fine and when it goes to restart for both cases fails with this:

Error
------------------------------------------------------------------------
IAGE ind_begin = 3
IAGE ind_end = 3
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(iage_mod:iage_init) no restart file to read iage from

When I check the restart file it has "iage" in the file. And all restart files are pointing to "01-03"
B_coupled_T31_CAM4.pop.rh.0009-01-03-00000.nc

So I turn off iage. The model runs fine and then fails on restart with this error.
pop2 ymd= 90103 pop2 tod= 0
sync ymd= 90104 sync tod= 0
Internal pop2 clock not in sync with Sync Clock

I also check the restart files and they are all there and pointing to the correct restart time.

I have a couple of questions, is there something wrong about setting up a coupled run with "internal" for SST and also turning off overflows(I need this off). Second, I may not be properly turning off the iage tracer in the POP2 ocean namelist. So If I could get some guidance on how to properly do this that would be great.

Thanks for the help here,

Are the compilers too new perhaps? The CESM documentation only mentions
v.10.1+. However, my setup works fine for CESM1.0.2 so I don't see an
obvious reason why it shouldn't work with the updated CESM.

njn01

The 'internal' initialization option is not supported in the CESM version of POP2, so if you choose this option, there are no guarantees that it will work for you.As for the restart error, a couple of comments:1) The *.pop.rh* file that you mention is a restart *history* file.  This is used  to continue averaging the POP2 output fields when you restart the model in the middle of the POP2 time-averaged history averaging period, which is typically one month.  The POP2 *restart* file is *.pop.r.*., and this is the file that the POP2 model uses to initialize itself upon restart.2) The error message is telling you that the CESM POP2 model thinks the date it 0009-01-03, whereas the coupler thinks the date is 0009-01-04.  By default, the CESM models read the rpointer.$comp* files when restarting, so you should check the contents of your rpointer.ocn.restart file.  The most likely explanation of your problem is that the rpointer.ocn.restart file points to the 0009-01-03 file, whereas the other pointer files point to 0009-01-04. But this might not be the problem, depending on the changes that you've made and the number of re-tries you've made with your case. The farther you move away from the standard, out-of-the-box setups of the CESM model, the more likely you can encounter one-of-a-kind problems that are difficult for anyone else to diagnose for you... 

jyBear

Junyan Xiong
If you use the continue_run or RESUBMIT, the problem may caused by init_ts_option, which is set in user_nl_pop2. change it to init_ts_option='ccsm_continue' may solve this problem.