Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Porting a compset to Derecho

colepersch

Cole Persch
Hello,

I am working on running a specific compset and resolution on Derecho. I know that this specific version is possible because I have run it many times on Cheyenne.

Previously, I had setup to run CESM2.1.1 with compset B1850C4L45BGCRBPRP (1850_CAM40_CLM45%BGC_CICE_POP2%ECO_RTM_SGLC_SWAV_BGC%BPRP) and resolution T31_g37.

I am hoping to add to my suite of runs created on Cheyenne and the above setup with my core hours on Derecho. I have CESM2.1.4 ready on Derecho, but am having difficulty building this case. Is this a problem on my end, or is that compset/resolution currently not supported with CESM2.1.4 on Derecho? If the latter, are there plans to add it?

Here is the specific error message I receive when trying to run case.build

sharedlib_only is False
model_only is False
Generating component namelists as part of build
Creating component namelists
Calling /glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam//cime_config/buildnml
...calling cam buildcpp to set build time options
ERROR: Command /glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam/bld/build-namelist -ntasks 384 -csmdata /glade/campaign/cesm/cesmdata/inputdata -infile /glade/u/home/cpersch/testruns/b.e21.B1850C4L45BGCRBPRP.T31_g37.control.060/Buildconf/camconf/namelist -ignore_ic_year -use_case 1850_cam6 -inputdata /glade/u/home/cpersch/testruns/b.e21.B1850C4L45BGCRBPRP.T31_g37.control.060/Buildconf/cam.input_data_list -namelist " &atmexp /" failed rc=255
out=CAM build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for ncdata
user defined attributes:
key=ic_md val=00010101
err=Died at /glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam/bld/build-namelist line 4065.

And my version of cesm
------------------------------------------------------------------------
git describe:
release-cesm2.1.4-0-g4003996

git status:
Not currently on any branch.
nothing to commit, working tree clean

manage_externals status:
Processing externals description file : Externals.cfg (/glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CAM.cfg (/glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cam)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CISM.cfg (/glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/components/cism)
Processing externals description file : Externals_CLM.cfg (/glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/components/clm)
Processing externals description file : Externals_POP.cfg (/glade/u/home/cpersch/my_cesm_sandbox/components/pop)
Checking local status of required & optional components: cam, chem_proc, carma, clubb, cosp2, cice, cime, cism, source_cism, clm, fates, ptclm, mosart, pop, cvmix, marbl, rtm, ww3,
./cime
clean sandbox, on cime5.6.44
HEAD detached at cime5.6.44

./components/cam
clean sandbox, on cam_cesm2_1_rel_r58
HEAD detached at cam_cesm2_1_rel_r58

./components/cam/chem_proc
clean sandbox, on tools/proc_atm/chem_proc/release_tags/chem_proc5_0_03_rel

./components/cam/src/physics/carma/base
clean sandbox, on carma/release_tags/carma3_49_rel

./components/cam/src/physics/clubb
clean sandbox, on vendor_clubb_r8099_n03
HEAD detached at vendor_clubb_r8099_n03

./components/cam/src/physics/cosp2/src
clean sandbox, on CFMIP/COSPv2.0/tags/v2.1.4cesm/src

./components/cice
clean sandbox, on cice5_cesm2_1_1_20190321
HEAD detached at cice5_cesm2_1_1_20190321

./components/cism
clean sandbox, on cism-release-cesm2.1.2_02
HEAD detached at cism-release-cesm2.1.2_02

./components/cism/source_cism
clean sandbox, on release-cism2.1.03
HEAD detached at release-cism2.1.03

./components/clm
clean sandbox, on release-clm5.0.35
HEAD detached at release-clm5.0.35

./components/clm/src/fates
clean sandbox, on sci.1.30.0_api.8.0.0
HEAD detached at sci.1.30.0_api.8.0.0

./components/clm/tools/PTCLM
clean sandbox, on PTCLM2_20200902
HEAD detached at PTCLM2_20200902

./components/mosart
clean sandbox, on release-cesm2.0.04
HEAD detached at release-cesm2.0.04

./components/pop
clean sandbox, on pop2_cesm2_1_rel_n14
HEAD detached at pop2_cesm2_1_rel_n14

./components/pop/externals/CVMix
clean sandbox, on v0.93-beta
HEAD detached at v0.93-beta

./components/pop/externals/MARBL
clean sandbox, on cesm2.1-n00
HEAD detached at cesm2.1-n00

./components/rtm
clean sandbox, on release-cesm2.0.04
HEAD detached at release-cesm2.0.04

./components/ww3
clean sandbox, on ww3_181001
HEAD detached at ww3_cesm2_1_rel_01

katec

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Cole,
Well, good news, we are currently working on porting CESM 2.1 to Derecho. There will be a 2.1.5 release in the not-too-distant future (a couple of weeks?) with good support for Derecho. This error is kind of weird looking, though, so I'm going to put your post over in the CAM sub and see if there's any specific instructions for this. But, I think your best bet will be to wait for the updated release.
Thanks!

peverley

Courtney Peverley
Hi Cole,

Kate is correct. I will update this post when the tag that has derecho support is available.

As for your error, it's complaining because you don't have ncdata (the initial data file) set (via namelist). My guess is that it's not grabbing the defaults for the case on derecho successfully. If you want to, you can set ncdata manually via user_nl_cam (and set it to whatever path your runs on cheyenne defaulted to). That said, it's likely that will only get you a bit farther before an error occurs so I would recommend waiting for the release tag.

Courtney

dharmendraks841

Dharmendra Kumar Singh
Hi Everyone,
Could you please suggest more regarding the following information from UCAR help
I am using CAM 6.3 of CESM2
Hello DK,

You are trying to submit a job to the 'regular' queue, but there is no 'regular' queue on Derecho. It's likely that you are using a version of CESM that is not ported to Derecho. I would recommend running a version of the model that has been ported to Derecho, as porting it yourself can be difficult. You should consult CESM support at the CESM Bulletin Board for details, but I believe they have several ported versions available.

UCAR help

peverley

Courtney Peverley
This CESM tag should get you the derecho updates for the latest version of CESM: cesm2_3_alpha17a

dharmendraks841

Dharmendra Kumar Singh
Is there any time, I should wait, When would I be getting the CESM tag derecho updates for the latest version of CESM: cesm2_3_alpha17a
I mean should I contact somewhere, please provide if you have contact number/email.