Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

postprocessing timeseries error

gunterl

I am trying to convert my history files into time series. I am using the steps detailed in the wiki: NCAR/CESM_postprocessing
(I am also following the steps to checkout the postprocessing scripts).

After submitting the timeseries job, it looks like files are being read but then the job keeps running doing nothing. Also, I am submitting to Casper (it shouldn't matter I suppose?). The log file (too big to be attached) ends with the following lines:
""
2 / 9 opening /glade/scratch/gunterl/archive/b.e21.B1850G.f19_g17.9kaControl.001/glc/hist/b.e21.B1850G.f19_g17.9kaControl.001.cism.h.0285-01-01-00000.nc
2 / 9 opening /glade/scratch/gunterl/archive/b.e21.B1850G.f19_g17.9kaControl.001/glc/hist/b.e21.B1850G.f19_g17.9kaControl.001.cism.h.0298-01-01-00000.nc
integer division or modulo by zero
""

No time series is being created at all. Any idea what the problem is?

Thanks

Gunter

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I have not had good luck with the post-processing on casper. Try it on cheyenne instead.

Dave

strandwg

Staff member
The CESM postprocessing scripts have not been ported to casper, as they're currently intended to be used as the model is running on cheyenne.

As Dave says, you need to run them on cheyenne.

gunterl

Hi Dave and Gary,
Using Cheyenne instead of Casper seems to have worked. One mystery though, is that in my file env_timeseries.xml, I did set the following:
""
<comp_archive_spec name="cism">
<rootdir>glc</rootdir>
<multi_instance>FALSE</multi_instance>
<default_calendar>noleap</default_calendar>
<files>
<file_extension suffix=".h.[0-9]">
<subdir>hist</subdir>
<tseries_create>FALSE</tseries_create>
<tseries_output_format>netcdf4c</tseries_output_format>
<tseries_tper>year_1</tseries_tper>
<tseries_filecat_tper>years</tseries_filecat_tper>
<tseries_filecat_n>50</tseries_filecat_n>
</file_extension>

""
From the wiki (NCAR/CESM_postprocessing), I thought setting "<tseries_create>FALSE</tseries_create>" would lead to NOT creating time series for glc but it did regardless. Do I need to assume this file is not read in the process?

Thanks

Gunter

dbailey

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You also need to make sure that TIMESERIES_GENERATE_ALL is set to FALSE in env_postprocess.xml.

gunterl

Ah, I see. Thanks a lot Dave. It is confusing that this option is not in the env_timeseries.xml file. Now I know :)