Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Printing the core hours for a given run

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Montasir,

I am not entirely sure what your question is, but if you are trying to determine how many core hours you will be charged on cheyenne, then it will depend on the queue you submitted the run to, the number of PEs (cores) you used, and the wallclock time you requested. You can find that info for each case by running the following commands in your case directory:

./xmlquery JOB_QUEUE
./xmlquery COST_PES
./xmlquery JOB_WALLCLOCK_TIME

From there you can estimate the actual cost using the info found online here:

Finally, if you need to know which account was charged for that case, then you can do so by running the following in your case directory:

./xmlquery PROJECT

Hope that helps, and of course if I completely mis-understood your question then feel free to clarify if possible.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Jesse

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
HI Montasir,

I forgot to add that this core-hour cost will be incurred every time the model resubmits as well, so you may need to multiply the cost by the number of re-submissions for each run to get the final, total core-hour cost.

Hope that helps!

Jesse

maruf2812

Montasir Maruf
Hi @Jesse,

Thank you for your reply. Actually I was looking for the core hours I have spent for my previous runs. I have run three cases, now I want to know I much core hours I spent on those runs.

nusbaume

Jesse Nusbaumer
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi Montasir,

Thanks for the clarification! To see how many core-hours you used for an already-run case, look for a "timing" sub-directory inside the case directory.
There you should see text file(s) labeled cesm_timing.<case_name>.XXX, where <case_name> is the name of the case, and XXX is additional information like the machine you ran on and the date it was run. There should be one file for each time the model was run (i.e. one file for your first submission, and additional files for every re-submission).

In those files you should see an entry labeled total pes active, which is the number of cores you requested, and then three entries below that labeled:

Init Time:
Run Time:
Final Time:

If you sum those three numbers it will give you the total run time in seconds. Thus converting to hours and then multiplying by the number of cores will give you the number of core-hours for that particular run. Finally, summing those core-hours over every case submission will give you the total number of core-hours used by that particular case.

Please note that although that is the "real" number of core-hours, you may end up getting charged more or less depending on which queue you submitted your run to. If you are on cheyenne you can find the queue info using the link in my first reply.

Anyways, I hope that helps, and if you still have any questions or concerns please let us know.

Thanks, and have a great day!

Jesse