Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

problem branching cesm1.2 run from cesm1.0 restart

Hello,   I am attempting to branch an RCP4.5 integration of WACCM using the cesm1_2_2_1 release from a restart file that was generated as part of the WACCM CMIP5 contribution. I would like to do this in order to output a few years of instantaneous fields that I can then use in a PORT integration.    I have created symbolic links for the cam restart files to address the change from a 'cam2' flag to a 'cam' flag. When I run the model, I am getting a "NetCDF: Attribute not found" error in my cesm.log file upon reading the cam restart file and then the run is aborted.   Is this an namelist issue, i.e. that the namelists are different in the restart file than in my new setup? I'm not sure how to fix this compatibility issue. Any advice? Thanks! Karen

Mengyao Xu

徐梦瑶
Hello, I am attempting to branch an RCP4.5 integration of WACCM using the cesm1_2_2_1 release from a restart file that was generated as part of the WACCM CMIP5 contribution. I would like to do this in order to output a few years of instantaneous fields that I can then use in a PORT integration. I have created symbolic links for the cam restart files to address the change from a 'cam2' flag to a 'cam' flag. When I run the model, I am getting a "NetCDF: Attribute not found" error in my cesm.log file upon reading the cam restart file and then the run is aborted. Is this an namelist issue, i.e. that the namelists are different in the restart file than in my new setup? I'm not sure how to fix this compatibility issue. Any advice? Thanks! Karen
Hi Karen, I met the same question, I wonder how you solved it. Hoping for reply, thanks!

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Karen and Mengyao

It's not completely clear here, but the error

NetCDF: Attribute not found

may be an error in reading on the input files, and not being able to find a particular attribute being looked for.
But, it's also possible that this is merely a warning and not really the underlying issue.

There's a lot of normal type of debugging CESM advice that I recommend.

1. Going through all the log files for the errors (be sure to look through all of the files)
  2. Make sure you identify at what point the model actually terminates
  3. Run in DEBUG mode to get additional clues
  4. Make sure you can first run a simpler case
  5. See if there's a comparable case that's working that someone has that you can base yours off of...