Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Problem configuring FKESSLER test case

indahector

Héctor Inda-Díaz
Hello,

I am trying to setup and run the FKESSLER test case according to the instructions at Dynamical Core | Adiabatic
When I run the command:
./create_newcase -compset FKESSLER -res f09_f09 -case $CASEDIR --run-unsupported
I get the the following error:
ERROR: no alias f09_f09 defined
Using the create_newcase help, I see that the only options are:
f09_f09_gl5 (only for compsets that are _CISM only for compsets that are not _POP )
f09_f09_gl5_mg16 (only for compsets that are _CISM only for compsets that are not _POP )
f09_f09_gl5_mg17 (only for compsets that are _CISM only for compsets that are not _POP )
f09_f09_mg16 (only for compsets that are not _POP )
f09_f09_mg17 (only for compsets that are not _POP )
f09_f09_mnull (only for compsets that are _DOCN%SAQUAP|DOCN%DAQUAP )

Could someone point me in the right direction? I am not sure what each of these options means (or where can I find documentation about it), or why the original line from the instructions (using f09_f09) doesn't work properly.

Thanks,

Héctor

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
f09_f09_mg16 or f09_f09_mg17should work. You didn't tell us what version of the model you are using. The mgxx is a designation for the ocean mask, since FKESSLER doesn't have an ocean this will be ignored.

indahector

Héctor Inda-Díaz
Hi and thank you for your response,

I am using cesm2_1 (copied directly from $CESMROOT on Cheyenne), and also trying with the git repository cesm2.2.0-0-g332937b

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Again you should not use the code from the CESMROOT directory. You should use cesm2.1.3 from the git repository unless you know of some feature available in cesm2.2 that you need.

indahector

Héctor Inda-Díaz
Got it! I was using cesm2.2.0-0-g332937b since it was the one that was downloaded by default by the git repository. I'll switch to 2.1.3. And yes, I will no use the CESMROOT version of the code, actually, I ran into both problems around the same time, I posted 2 threads since they were different issues. By the way, the f09_f09 no alias appears on both the CESMROOT and git versions (just for reference, I'll use the git 2.1.3 version anyway).

Thank you for your help, have a great day!

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I have confirmed that using "-res f09_f09_mg17" works for the create_newcase command using the cesm2.1.3 checkout. I will let the people in charge of the website know that it is out of date. Sorry for the confusion.