Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

problem of build case in FHIST compset

sunweihao

19970130SWh
Hello, every scientists,

I am using FHIST compset for research goals. I want to use higher resolution, I found that the highest resolution is f02_h17. I create new case like this:

./create_newcase --case fhist_highres4 --res f05_g17 --compset F2000climo --run-unsupported --compiler intel --mach oneapi

but in the ./case.build process it gets errors:
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (-1, -1)
Creating component namelists
Calling /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/components/cam//cime_config/buildnml
...calling cam buildcpp to set build time options
ERROR: Command /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/components/cam/bld/build-namelist -ntasks 560 -csmdata /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/inputdata -infile /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/cime/scripts/fhist_highres/Buildconf/camconf/namelist -ignore_ic_year -use_case hist_cam6 -inputdata /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/cime/scripts/fhist_highres/Buildconf/cam.input_data_list -namelist " &atmexp /" failed rc=255
out=CAM build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for ncdata
user defined attributes:
key=ic_md val=19790101
err=Died at /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/components/cam/bld/build-namelist line 4054.

Why does this problem happens, and how can I solve it?

Thanks!

Best wishes

sunweihao

19970130SWh
sorry in the create new case command posted above I have a mistake,it is:

./create_newcase --case fhist_highres4 --res f02_g17 --compset FHIST --run-unsupported --compiler intel --mach oneapi

sunweihao

19970130SWh
I also tried resolution of f05_g17 but got same error in the ./case.build process. I guess this compset do not support higher resolution than f09_g17 ? Can this problem be solved?

fischer

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Hi,

You need to create an initial condition file for the atmosphere at the resolution that you want to use. CAM has tools in component/cam/tools/interpic_new. You can read the README there to get instruction on how to use the code. Once you've made the new file, you'll need to add a line to user_nl_cam in your case directory. The line we be something like this.

ncdata="fullpath/file_you_created.nc"

Chris

sunweihao

19970130SWh
Hi,

You need to create an initial condition file for the atmosphere at the resolution that you want to use. CAM has tools in component/cam/tools/interpic_new. You can read the README there to get instruction on how to use the code. Once you've made the new file, you'll need to add a line to user_nl_cam in your case directory. The line we be something like this.

Chris
Thanks for your reply!

ohmpawat

ohmpawat chen
Hi,

Chris
Thanks for your reply. That helps me solve the problem. By the way, I would appreciate it if you could tell me why some compsets and resolution need to add this line but the others do not need.

GXJ

Ganxinjun
Hello, every scientists,

I am using FHIST compset for research goals. I want to use higher resolution, I found that the highest resolution is f02_h17. I create new case like this:

./create_newcase --case fhist_highres4 --res f05_g17 --compset F2000climo --run-unsupported --compiler intel --mach oneapi

but in the ./case.build process it gets errors:
Setting resource.RLIMIT_STACK to -1 from (-1, -1)
Creating component namelists
Calling /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/components/cam//cime_config/buildnml
...calling cam buildcpp to set build time options
ERROR: Command /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/components/cam/bld/build-namelist -ntasks 560 -csmdata /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/inputdata -infile /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/cime/scripts/fhist_highres/Buildconf/camconf/namelist -ignore_ic_year -use_case hist_cam6 -inputdata /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/cime/scripts/fhist_highres/Buildconf/cam.input_data_list -namelist " &atmexp /" failed rc=255
out=CAM build-namelist - ERROR: No default value found for ncdata
user defined attributes:
key=ic_md val=19790101
err=Died at /public1/home/lym/swh/cesm2.1.3/components/cam/bld/build-namelist line 4054.

Why does this problem happens, and how can I solve it?

Thanks!

Best wishes
Hello,I also met the same problem when I set up the case(B1850W5CN),could you tell me the detail in how to reslove this problem? Tanks a lot!