Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

problem using dataset at different resolution.

Dear, CAM-users

I have some questions about initial & boundary data set. I have a plan to run the CAM model with high-resolution (fv_1x1.25 resolution). So, I interpolated initial atmospheric state, SST and Aerosolmass dataset using tools included in a cam distribution. And a time-invariant land surface dataset at 1x1.25 resolution was generated at run time. Using these dataset, I ran the model. However, it seems that the output is wrong. For example, precipitation over lands of low latitude was barely simulated (about 0~2 mm/day).

At first, I thought that this problem was due to not using CLM initial conditions dataset. So, I tested at different resolution (fv_4x5). Used dataset were interpolated from the same dataset (T42 offered by NCAR). I ran the model for 50 years, land & atmospheric initial dataset were generated by CAM. Using the land & atmos. initial dataset generated by the model, I ran the CAM again. However, the result was the same. It seems that the interpolated dataset are not wrong, because I compared the interpolated dataset with the original dataset.

When I use initial & boundary data set (fv_4x5) offered by NCAR, although this dataset don't have land initial data set, the result seemed to be reasonable. So, I think that maybe the problem is not due to land initial dataset.

Did anyone have the same problem? Could you advise me to solve this problem?

Thank you for reading.

Sang-Ki, Kim.